Full course description
Certification in Catholic Healthcare Ethics is a fully online course that is completed in four weeks. You can log into the course at any time during the week to participate.
Each week there are readings, videos, questions for discussion with other physicians and written assignments that give you opportunities to apply what you have learned to real life clinical situations. This course will enhance your practice of virtuous medicine and give you language to articulate the Church’s moral teaching as expressed in the Ethical and Religious Directives.
Upon completion of this course, Medical Doctors will be awarded 16 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits(s)™.
- Discuss human dignity and how it applies to the practice of Catholic Healthcare Ethics.
- Describe the philosophical and theological Foundations of Catholic Healthcare Ethics.
- Describe the preeminent role of conscience in the moral life of the human person, its role in the formation of one’s character.
- Discuss how a person can cooperate in the immoral act of another.
- Discuss the moral premises derived from Natural Law and the Principles of Personalism which are used to come to ethical conclusions.
- Describe assisted reproductive technologies in light of the dignity of the human person and the rights of the child.
- Describe human love in the Divine plan and how it applies to the practice of Catholic healthcare ethics in the beginning of life
- Use an effective language to ameliorate the social dissention of abortion and abortion related bioethical issues.
- Discuss the endocrinology of Natural Family Planning, its value in preventative healthcare for women.
- Describe responsible parenthood in light of Catholic moral teaching
- List the adverse effects of contraception on the female body.
- Discuss the basic core principles of Catholic healthcare ethics as they apply to end of life issues.
- Discuss methods for determining morally correct responses to difficult cases.
- Discuss methods for determining morally correct responses to difficult perinatal issues.
- Provide a broader and more expansive understanding of euthanasia
- Describe an effective way to articulate the benefits of inserting a percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tube when medically indicated to patients or their families.